How can Stoptober help you quit smoking for good?
What is Stoptober?
Stoptober is an annual event run by Public Health England and the NHS Smokefree to encourage participants to give up smoking for twenty-eight days. Stoptober believes that you are five times more likely to stop smoking for good if you give up for the twenty-eight day period. Stoptober is supported by celebrity comedians; Al Murray, Lee Nelson, Paddy McGuiness and fellow participant - Andi Osho, who will be documenting her journey throughout the quitting process.
What support is available?
You can register on the Stoptober website for access to the mobile app, Stoptober kit and online support community. You can also access the NHS Smokefree resources, which include a helpline, online chat service, a quit kit, the face to face stop smoking service and online community support. You can also discuss potential stop smoking medicines and support services with your GP.
What are the benefits of quitting?
Key benefits include
- Reducing your chances of gum disease and oral cancer.
- Improvements to your fertility levels.
- The appearance of your skin can improve.
- After ten years your risk of developing lung cancer could be half that of a smoker.
- You are less likely to suffer from a heart attack.
- Your sense of taste and smell could improve.
- Your energy levels can improve.
- Your lungs can start to self-repair after just one month, have a look at this smoking lung to see the benefits to your respiratory system.
The Health-on-Line smoking lung is and interactive digital lung, that shows you the effects of smoking on your respiratory system. But it isn't all bad news; the smoking lung also shows you the positive effects of stopping smoking.
If you have been thinking about quitting smoking for a while, there is never a better time than now. Join in with Stoptober and kick the habit for good.